The Victron Energy Blue Power is a waterproof smart charger for 12 volt batteries. It will charge most battery types, including wet, maintenance-free, gel, AGM, calcium, and Li-Ion. It is Bluetooth enabled and has an app available.
This charger features a dead battery recovery function and multiple battery life enhancement features. The waterproof design prevents water, dust, and chemicals from damaging your charger.
Download the VictronConnect App:
The VictronConnect app lets you get live status info and configure your IP65 blue smart charger. It can be used to view charging history and even switch over to a "Power Supply" mode.
Seven Step Charge Algorithm
The seven-step charging algorithm gets the best out of your battery. The charger gives the battery the power it needs, maintains its health, ensures better performance and a longer life.
- The Test LED indicates the charger is connected to AC current.
- All charge LEDs will flash in case of reverse polarity.
- When the Test LED is solid, you can select the charge mode.
- The Test LED will flash as long as a charge pulse does not increase battery voltage to more than 12.5V. If the flashing persists for several minutes, the battery is likely damaged (internal short-circuit): Disconnect the charger.
- Charges the battery with maximum current until absorption voltage is reached. The battery will be about 80% charged and is ready for use.
- Charges the battery until fully charged.
- Optional reconditioning for deeply-discharged lead-acid batteries.
- Keeps the battery at constant voltage and fully charged.
- Keeps the battery at reduced constant voltage to limit gassing and corrosion of the positive plates. Slow self-discharge is prevented by an automatic weekly refresh of the battery with a short absorption charge.
- The battery is fully charged when the FLOAT or STORAGE LED is on.
Once charging is complete, the charger will begin its Refresh phase. This prevents slow self-discharge with an automatic weekly refresh of the battery with a short absorption range.
Recovery of Deeply-discharged 'dead' Batteries
Unlike other brands, the Blue Smart IP65 Charger will attempt to recharge a deeply-discharged battery (as low as 2 volt) by force-feeding it with a low current. Normal charging will then be resumed as soon as there is sufficient voltage across the battery terminals.
Five Charging Modes
- Charges up to 14.4V. Recommended for flooded lead antimony batteries (starter batteries), GEL, and AGM batteries.
- Charges up to 14.7V. Recommended for flooded lead calcium batteries, Optima spiral cell batteries, and Odyssey batteries.
- Optional reconditioning for deeply-discharged lead acid batteries.
- Reconditioning is applicable to the charge algorithms NORMAL and HIGH and can be selected by pressing the MODE button one more time after selection of the required algorithm.
- When in Recondition mode, the battery will be charged with low current up to a higher voltage at the end of the absorption phase.
- The Recondition LED will be on during charging, and will blink during the reconditioning period.
- During reconditioning, the maximum current is equal to 8% of the nominal current until the maximum voltage is reached.
- Reconditioning is terminated after one hour or when the maximum voltage is reached, whichever comes first. Example: (12V 7A charger) The recondition current is 7x 0.08 = 0.56A
- Li-Ion batteries do no suffer from sulfation but Li-Ion batteries are very sensitive to under voltage or over voltage.
- Li-Ion batteries often have integrated cell balancing and under voltage protection (UVP) circuitry. Some reverse polarity protected chargers will not recognize a battery when the UVP has tripped. The Blue Smart charger will however automatically reset the UVP to start charging.
- The Low Current Mode should be used to charge lead acid batteries that are 10 Ah or below.