BatteryMart.com is delighted to introduce the newest line of batteries for powersports applications: Lithium Iron batteries from Shorai! These rank among the most innovative and technologically advanced batteries on the market today.
Using proprietary Lithium Iron prismatic cells (LiFePO4), these batteries contains no poisonous lead, no acid, and do not create gases during charge, as Lead-Acid batteries do. They are also extremely light, have a much lower self-discharge rate, and do not sulphate.
What are some of the major features of Shorai Lithium Iron batteries?
- They are extremely light. These batteries average about one fifth of lead acid batteries. For racers, this is one of the most cost-effective ways to shave pounds off your vehicle's total weight.
- Fitted replacement for your OEM battery. With the flexibility of the internal design, Shorai is able to produce these batteries to meet most OEM size requirements. In cases where the battery is made slightly smaller, every package includes high-density, adhesive-backed form shims. These are easy to apply, without any of the hassle of saws, duct tape, or cutting torches.
- Faster crank for better starts. Shorai batteries are rated to deliver 9V for a 5-second crank at the CCA rated current. In practice, you can multiply Shorai's CCA rating by 1.5x to compare to a traditional CCA. For example, the 270A CCA LFX18 series provides the same cranking voltage as a 405A-CCA-rated lead acid battery (from a quality maker).
- No charging system modifications. In most cases, you can use your lead-acid battery charger to charge and maintain Shorai batteries. However, you may not use a charger with an automatic "desulfation mode", which cannot be turned off. This shouldn't be a problem for most, since Shorai batteries do not build up sulphation. If you need a charger, we recommend Deltran's 12 Volt, 1.25 Amp Battery Tender (Model 021-0128).
- Safe and environmentally friendly. These batteries contain no lead and no acid. They also do not create any gasses during charge. They meet the European RoHS standards for environmental health. Muncipal regulations do vary, so check with your local authority to see if LiFePO4 batteries are allowed to be disposed of in regular garbage. We expect recycling for these batteries will be more common in the years ahead.
- Two year factory direct warranty.
If you'd like to find the correct battery for your application, be sure to check out our Shorai batteries page and take a look at the battery finder. This easy to use application will quickly point you to your battery based on your vehicle's make, year, and model.